Sunday, August 14, 2011

So, I've Knitted A Crop Top...

 Wrap Stitch Shoulder

Yes. I've knitted a crop top. A. Cropped. Top. Probably technically about half a top. For me to wear on my own limbs. As someone who until fairly recently had been carrying a significant amount of extra poundage around (I'd been calling it 'holiday weight' for about 5 years - it was time to get real) this is a pretty big deal.

Excuse the shit* on the end of my bed (*not actual shit) 

I mean I'm still not rake thin or anything (who wants to be?!) but it actually isn't quite so much the sartorial nightmare I had started to fear it would be.

I mean there's a few rules that I've self imposed to make sure it doesn't look ridiculous ('Pair with high waisted stuff ONLY' being one of them - noone needs to get an eyeful of my blindingly white untoned stomach) but I kind of like it.

High waist = minimal blindingly white stomach

The pattern was another Kim Hargreaves from her most recent Spring/Summer collection, called Sizzle. Not sure if that's a reference to how SIZZLING HOT I look in it (haha, I jest, I jest).

I was drawn to it because the pattern has stripes of wrap stitch detailing in, which are the bands of the wider spaced stitches you can see. The sizes of the wrap stitches are randomly varied, which gives a kinda sorta laddered effect to the fabric that I really liked and was really eager beaver to try my hand at. Turns out it's super easy.

Totally photoshopped the tanned skin. I need a holiday. I realise this is irrelevant.

So I have about two weeks to wear this until summer is technically over and flesh-flashing becomes inappropriate and BANNED for another 6/7 months. But hey, when you hand-knit stuff this shit takes time.

But pretty pleased overall - I wear cropped tops now. And a KNITTED one at that. I literally never thought I'd see the day.

17 comments:

Gabrielle - I LIKE IT FAST said...

Wow it's sooo nice!
xx
I LIKE IT FAST

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Very cool! I can't knit to save my life...

PinkBow said...

Congratulations on the knitting & the ability to wear cropped anything! ;-)

daniela kate morosini said...

and you've done so well! looks brilliant xx

julianne. said...

i love it.
you've done a great job.<3

wishwishwish said...

Yay! Glad you're embracing the crop top, me too!! I just started wearing them out after thinking I'd never be able to get away with it! x

SAM said...

It's so cute! I wish I could make one!

www.justfaabulous.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

That's really pretty and so impressive that you made it!

I think it's great too that you felt confident to share it with us, and you should - you look stunning!

NESHA said...

I can't believe you've knitted your own crop top! It looks so cute, I think I should start embracing the crop top... but i'm a bit hesitant. my overly long legs mean that a crop top makes me look completely disproportunate! (hope i spelt that right :s)

Grace said...

I love it!!
Great job :D

Claire. said...

This is amazing, well done! I wish I could knit like that! How long did it take you to make? You could even wear this in winter with jeans and a singlet top underneath, no need to put it away in the cupboard!
- C x

ceciliasheart.blogspot.com

Julia Topaz said...

I can't believe you made that! Looks beautiful!

Little Lj said...

Paula: Haha, thanks. It has to be very carefully thought out!

Carrie: I know! My 18 year old self is shaking her head in disbelief!

Harriet: Aw shucks - thanks!

Nesha: I'm tall too - as long as it's paired with the right stuff it can look fine!

Claire: Thanks, yeah it can be worn in winter too I guess. It took about a month and a half to make - and that wasn't knitting every day - quite quick really!

Once Upon A Time... said...

that top is really cute!

jos xx

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous, and it suits you really well. I wish I could knit!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

Morgan Jordan said...

I love that sweater!


Don't forget to enter my Coach purse giveaway! http://stylocrat.blogspot.com/2011/08/100th-post-vintage-coach-purse-giveaway.html

The Annachrist said...

So talented!! great top! You should sell on etsy.com!